School on Wheels’ mission is to provide one-on-one tutoring and educational advocacy for school-aged children impacted by homelessness.
Our vision is to equip these children with the educational tools necessary to achieve success in life and break the cycle of homelessness.
Founded in 2001 by Sally Bindley, MSW, School on Wheels provides one-on-one tutoring and educational advocacy for school-aged children impacted by homelessness. In its first year, School on Wheels and its staff of two, along with 11 volunteers, tutored 50 children at two shelters partners.
Since that time School on Wheels has grown to serve over 350 children each year at 13 partner sites with the help of nearly 400 volunteer tutors. School on Wheels provides after-school tutoring as well as curriculum-based tutoring in select schools through Tutors in Action. We also offer classes, workshops and office hours for the parents of the children we serve through our parent program, Ignite Learning, so they can be the best advocates for their children’s education.
Since its inception, School on Wheels has:
- Provided tutoring at shelter and school locations throughout Marion County
- Utilized over 4,400 community volunteers as tutors
- Provided tutoring to 5,000 school-aged homeless children
- Provided 67,000 hours of tutoring
- Distributed 2,800 backpacks filled with school supplies to homeless children
- Distributed 6,000 sets of school uniforms to homeless children
*September 2001 through June 2016