Nominations for the 2016 Education Champion cycle are now closed. Check back in late 2016 for information about the 2017 nomination cycle!
Many educators, both traditional and non-traditional, often work long hours with minimal recognition. School on Wheels partners with inspiring educators, youth workers, social workers and volunteers who help students excel in school and life. The Education Champion award recognizes an individual who has devoted his or her time, expertise and focus in supporting youth and championing education. This individual will stand out among their peers as a passionate, dedicated educator.
A Nominee for the Education Champion will fill the following criteria:
- Work as a traditional or non-traditional educator including: tutor, teacher, social worker, volunteer, youth worker, clergy, mentor, etc. The focus of his or her work must be educational and illustrate a direct impact on K-12 youth.
- Have five or more years of experience working with youth in education.
- If a finalist, he or she must be willing to participate in a phone interview on April 11, 2016.
- Agree to an on-line background check.
- Be an Indiana resident.
- May not be a current School on Wheels employee, current School on Wheels volunteer or an immediate relative of a current School on Wheels employee.
- Provide two references from individuals impacted by this person’s service.
- Be available to attend the April 28th Education Celebration awards.
- Share his or her story on how he or she used the $1,000 education award to be recorded and featured at a future Education Celebration award ceremony and in other media at School on Wheels’ discretion.
- Public recognition at a live awards program (2016 Education Celebration, April 28) and in the media.
- Two complimentary tickets to the Education Celebration.
- A $1,000 monetary award to use toward furthering the educational work and impact for which they were recognized.
Nominations can be submitted through February 19, 2016. Nominees will be notified by email and asked to complete the 2016 Education Champion application. All nominee applications are due on March 14th, 2016. A panel of independent judges will evaluate the applications. Finalists will be asked to complete an online background check and be interviewed by phone on April 11, 2016. The winner will be notified on April 13th and will be honored at the Education Celebration on April 28th.
Celebrate the power of education! The Education Celebration will recognize individuals and organizations that have made an impact on education and School on Wheels in the past year. Over 400 attendees will gather to honor the good work of the Education Champion, a corporate partner, tutor, tutoring team and philanthropist.
Date & Time: Thursday, April 28, 2015 at 5:30 pm
Location: Crane Bay Event Center
551 W Merrill St, Indianapolis, IN 46225
About School on Wheels
The mission of School on Wheels is to provide one-on-one tutoring and educational advocacy for school-aged children impacted by homelessness. More than 400 community volunteers tutor at 13 partner sites (homeless shelters, transitional housing facilities and four schools) throughout central Indianapolis to provide homework assistance, encourage reading and writing, and bring educational support to students in grades K – 12. Additionally, School on Wheels provides parents with educational advocacy and support to enhance their involvement with their children’s education. The vision of School on Wheels is to equip children impacted by homelessness with the educational tools necessary to achieve success in life and break the cycle of homelessness.