February is an awesome and busy month here at School on Wheels. But it’s also our very favorite time of the year – Share the Love! Share the Love is our annual fundraising and awareness event that harnesses the collective power of our community to help break the cycle of homelessness through education. Our goal for Share the Love this year is to raise $15,000 in 15 days to provide one-on-one tutoring and educational advocacy to the students we serve. There are so many ways for you to get involved this month – read on to find out how!
1. Get social with us!
Share the Love is a fantastic opportunity to share why you love volunteering for School on Wheels with your family and friends – and how better to do that than through social media? Here are just a few ideas to get you started:
- Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn to get all of the latest updates on all things related to School on Wheels and the kids we serve. You can also follow along with the campaign using #SharetheLoveIndy.
- A huge part of Share the Love is spreading the word about what we do. Invite your friends to also support School on Wheels Indianapolis on Facebook (learn how to do that on a computer here and on your phone here)!
- Take an #unselfie, sharing why you support School on Wheels (here’s an example) and ask your friends to support you! They’re not just for #GivingTuesday anymore!
- If you are very active on social media and want to use your social powers for good, sign up to become part of our social media street team! This is a group of tutors, SPOKES volunteers and other supporters who help spread the word about School on Wheels and all that we have going on through social channels. To get more involved, email our Program & Communications Specialist, Shalyn at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Send a Valentine
In order to reach our goal for Share the Love, we hope to have 150 supporters ask 10 friends to give $10 or more each! We hope to make this as easy (and fun!) as possible, and have created some awesome School on Wheels-themed Valentines to help you do just that! Check out all of our options online, and send one to your friends today! Please note: Our valentines do not render well in Internet Explorer.
A huge part of what we hope to accomplish with Share the Love is raising awareness about childhood homelessness and the important role we all play in breaking the cycle. Child homelessness isn’t something we are confronted with every day. Some may not even realize it exists in our community, but it’s everywhere. More than 5,200 children experience homelessness in Marion County each year. In Indianapolis and across the country, children are affected each day by the instability and trauma that homelessness brings. We hope that, throughout February and beyond, you will help us bring childhood homelessness to light by sharing some of the statistics below (click on the thumbnail to be taken to a full size image)!
4. Join us at Punch Burger on Monday, February 15
We are thrilled to be partnering with our friends at Punch Burger to celebrate the end of our Share the Love campaign on Monday, February 15! Join us from 4pm – 9pm at the downtown Punch Burger on Presidents’ Day. There is no tutoring that evening, so come to Punch Burger instead. 20% of all sales will be donated to benefit the students we serve, including dine in and carry out! No flyer is needed. Additionally, Punch Burger will donate $5 for every check-in on Facebook with a comment during the fundraiser, so come prepared to get your social on! Make sure to RSVP to the event on Facebook and invite your friends!
As you are helping us #SharetheLoveIndy this month, please consider making a donation to help break the cycle of homelessness through education yourself!