Getting the kids we serve ready to go back to school takes a whole community! For the upcoming school year we have already provided over 100 backpacks full of school supplies and complete sets of uniforms (two shirts, two pairs of pants and a belt) to students in our program, and more orders come in every week. This would not have been possible without the generosity of the MANY individuals and community groups who donated their time or program materials during the last two months.
As we head back to tutoring, we wanted to take the time to thank these 10 groups who made back to school a huge success!
1. Our friends at Shalom Zone held a Trunk of Treasures community yard sale event where they asked for donations for School on Wheels in exchange for a space in the sale. They raised over $450 to help our students!
2. The kindergarten teachers at Nora Elementary were thinking of students everywhere, even as they were busy preparing for school themselves. They donated three boxes of supplies to help ensure our students were ready for the school year.
3. For the second year in a row, our friends at TCC #CultureofGood dropped by a ton of backpacks full of school supplies to benefit our kids.
4. When we have a volunteer project in our office, we know there is always one group that we can count on to step up and help – our friends at Deploy Indy. During July, they helped us prepare for the back-to-school rush by filling over 100 backpacks with school supplies for our kids!
5. At The Ohio State University Alumni Club of Indianapolis’ latest meeting, they gathered school supplies, snacks and backpacks to benefit our students as they head back to school.
6. One of our tutors, Brian, has three children who all have birthdays within four weeks of each other, so they celebrate all of their birthdays together. For the third year in a row, they had one BIG birthday party and donated their birthdays to benefit the students we serve!
7. Our friends from The Palladium held a drive to benefit our students for the second year in a row. They gathered snacks, uniforms and school supplies for our kids.
8. This summer, the interns at Fitzmark banded together to hold a school supply with a creative twist – they held the School on Wheels Olympics! They broke out into five teams that competed to gain points, collect donations and school supplies to benefit our kids and ultimately win the Olympics for their country! And in the process, they collected a TON of items to help our kids go back to school.
9. For the second year in a row, our friends at Entry Point Church organized a school uniform drive. Not only did they donate over 100 uniform shirts and pants for our students, they also wrote adorable notes on each clothing item encouraging our students to have a great school year!
10. A new community partner, Zionsville Country Veterinary Clinic, does monthly collections and selected School on Wheels for a supply drive in August. They collected school supplies for the kids we serve and dropped of an amazing collection of items from our wish list!
Thank you to every single one of our amazing donors this summer. Every item you donated is critical to what we do and we couldn’t be more thankful. Your creativity and kindness have been inspiring!
If you are inspired to support our students after learning what our community is doing to help our kids as they head back to school, we can still use your help! We are in need of larger sizes of uniforms for our middle school and high school students. Check out our Amazon wishlist for our current needs!