2016 was an amazing year at School on Wheels! Throughout the year, we were honored to receive support from so many fantastic volunteers and donors. But we were especially blown away by the generosity of the awesome community groups who donated their time and program materials during the holidays.
As we kick off 2017, we wanted to take the time to thank these 12 groups who made our holiday season bright!
1. A huge thanks to our friends from Shalom Zone for dedicating their Thanksgiving service to our programs. Their very generous members donated over $2,000 to support students experiencing homelessness in Indianapolis!
2. Buckingham Companies volunteered in our office as part of their Thanks for Giving Week. Their volunteers helped compile and prepare over 1300 letters for our holiday mailing in less than 2.5 hours – which would have taken our small staff hours!
3. We’re so grateful that, for the second year in a row, Mrs. Awe’s 4th/5th grade class at Prairie Trace Elementary performed Random Acts of Kindness in honor of our program for #GivingTuesday. Overall, the students in her class raised $40 by performing 30+ kind acts and gathered 30 pairs of gloves for our students!
4. A huge thanks to our friends at Managed Health Services for holding a supply drive to benefit our students over the holidays! From belts and uniforms to awesome backpacks, school supplies, and books, we were so thankful for this donation!
5. Over the last few years, we’ve been lucky to have some fantastic tutors from the Butler University English Department. This year, we’re so grateful that they applied for a grant to purchase some of our students’ favorite books. We know they’ll love them!
6. For the third year in a row, Raybourn Group International collected supplies for our students during December. This year, they provided our students with awesome belts and prizes for rewards at tutoring!
7. Thanks to volunteers from Eli Lilly and Company for donating their time in our office. They helped complete a ton of projects for us from leveling books and making folders for our students to putting together brochures and curriculum materials.
8. We are grateful for the continued support of our friends at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. This year, they raised over $1000 and purchased school uniforms, donated books as a holiday gift for our students, and gave their time putting together winter gifts for our tutors!
9. Our families at Salvation Army Barton Center had another fantastic holiday celebration thanks to our long-time partners Royal United Mortgage. The evening was full of fun, gifts, and family time. You can learn more here.
10. Holidays are really busy times around the office. That’s why we’re grateful for volunteer groups like the students from Nexus Academy, our neighbors, who came to our office and helped assemble holiday art packs for our students.
11. One of our favorite things is when kids help kids! That’s why we loved receiving a fantastic donation of school supplies from the members of the Hamilton Southeastern Girl Scout Service Unit.
12. Our friends at Invoke Studio kicked off the New Year in a unique (and awesome) way – they held a yoga class at their downtown location and collected over $600 donations to benefit our students and our friends at Second Helpings!