“The achievements of an organization are the results of the combined effort of each individual.” -Vince Lombardi
School on Wheels is a fun, friendly, and impact-driven work environment. We look for talented and focused individuals to help us break the cycle of homelessness in Indianapolis.
We are currently hiring a part-time program position.
Education Support Coordinator - This part-time staff role will dedicate 10 hours each week to provide daily management of the tutoring hour at a specific site by working directly with students, tutors, parents, and partner staff. This individual will work as an advocate for education, providing academic support for families experiencing homelessness in alignment with McKinney-Vento Legislation. View the full Education Support Coordinator job description below. To apply for this position, please send your cover letter and resume to Erin Brown, email@example.com by Thursday, October 10.
Education Support Coordinator
Summary: Provide daily management of the tutoring hour at a specific site by working directly with students, tutors, parents, and partner staff. Work as an advocate for education, providing academic support for families experiencing homelessness in alignment with McKinney-Vento Legislation.
- Oversee the School on Wheels programming in assigned site/homeless shelter including intake, tutoring and working with families to achieve educational goals.
- Conduct intake meetings with families as they engage in programming.
- Conduct on-site orientation and assist in welcoming and transitioning new tutors.
- Ensure the tutoring hour runs smoothly and follows the established School on Wheels procedures, policies, and rules, including exit plans.
- Establish and maintain communication with parents, teachers, and partner staff to support student academic achievement.
- Provide daily support to volunteer tutors by arriving early to sites to communicate with and answer questions of our tutors, by regularly updating the Tutoring Communication Log in each student's folder, by providing support for homework when needed, and by encouraging the use of provided supplemental activities that are appropriate for each student during tutoring.
- Keep tutoring area organized and conducive to successful tutoring.
- Monitor the effectiveness of the tutoring program (including distribution of surveys when required), and make adaptations when necessary to meet individual student's needs.
- Serve as the primary point of contact with site staff regarding clients' arrivals and departures, changes in the tutoring schedule, changes in policies/procedures, or other issues.
- Promote and communicate School on Wheels events and initiatives to tutors and partners.
- Collaborate with Volunteer Coordinator to ensure that student:tutor ratios are adequately maintained.
- Ensure that all data (volunteer and student attendance, parent meetings, school interactions, etc.) is accurately entered in the appropriate database on a weekly basis.
- Complete a detailed weekly report.
- Ensure intake packets are accurately completed and submitted weekly.
- Maintain materials on site.
- Communicate appropriate feedback, information, and School on Wheels activities to volunteer tutors by email or phone call.
- Attend required meetings and events as scheduled.
- Establish and promote positive communication among all team members of School on Wheels to increase collaboration and reduce inefficiencies.
- Represent School on Wheels in a professional manner at all times, providing courteous service to both internal and external constituents and presenting a positive image of School on Wheels.
- Abide by School on Wheels policies and practices.
- Attend special events.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
- Must be available to work 10 hours per week.
- Must be available during the determined tutoring hour (including ½ hour before start time & ½ hour after start time) for the specific site. This would require being available Tuesday-Thursday 3:30pm-5:30pm.
- Must be available to provide 1 hour onsite at the shelter outside of tutoring for an office hour/intakes (if agreed upon by site).
- Must be available for meetings and events presented on the calendar at the beginning of the year.
- Daytime availability is not required.
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $15.00 /hour
Not quite the opportunities you were looking for, but you still want to be a part of the School on Wheels team? Check out some other ways to get involved.