Through Shelter-based programming, we are able to support families whether in a time of crisis at an emergency shelter or more long-term in transitional or permanent supportive housing. We offer one-on-one tutoring in a group setting in addition to wraparound services that are focused on coaching parents to become their child’s best educational advocate, from finding the right preschool options for the youngest learners in a family to enrolling school-aged children in the school that’s the right fit for their needs. Regardless of income, children with involved parents are more likely to adapt well to school and earn higher grades.
Through its shelter-based programs, School on Wheels:
- Provides one-on-one tutoring in a group setting. Tutoring focuses on homework completion and attaining grade level skills utilizing toolkit activities that contain grade-aligned activities for all ages.
- Offers parent workshops for each partner site focused on relevant educational topics each semester.
- Provides education-based case management services for families focused on setting educational goals and addressing educational obstacles for School on Wheels students and their siblings.
- Connects with the teachers and parents of the children in our tutoring programs to build a more comprehensive picture of each student’s educational and social development needs.
- Connects parents to resources in the community to create a web of support for the families we serve.